May TBR: Books I hope to read in May

 May is finally here and you know that means: the semester is almost over! Meaning… I’ll finally get to couch-potato around with no guilt of procrastination, only feeling the existential dread of waking up for my retail job.

I have a few forms of escapism, but reading is my top one. Especially during those times I’m feeling blue. Therefore, I can’t put into words how excited I am to finally have more time to read during the summer, since I won’t be having a summer semester (slay).

So! Let’s begin with my May TBR (hopefuls):

1. Twisted Love by Ana Huang 

I’ve heard nothing but AMAZING things about this book— no, about the entire series. Twisted Love is the first book of the Twisted Series by Ana Huang and I’ve seen people raving about it on TikTok; especially about the MMC of this book: Alex Volkov. Or in my co-worker’s case, Christian Harper (from the last book in this series, if I’m not mistaken). At the moment, I think Rhys Larsen (from the second book, Twisted Games) will be the one to win me over out of the four. We’ll see. 

Driven by a tragedy that has haunted him for most of his life, his ruthless pursuits for success and vengeance leave little room for matters of the heart. 

But when he’s forced to look after his best friend’s sister, he starts to feel something in his chest:

A crack.
A melt.
A fire that could end his world as he knew it.

Yup, and I’m here for it.


2. The Fine Print by Lauren Asher


I’m gonna admit this once; every book I ignore, every book I end up reading and loving. I hope this will be the case here, too. I do judge books by their cover, so I really didn’t pay attention to what people said. Until my co-worker talked my ear off about it (I adore you, Paola; thank you), and now my interest has been piqued. 
And here we are.
It’s hard for me to make summaries of books I haven’t read; but what I can confidently say this is about a billionaire who appears to be a shit-boss, at least this one. And we already know what happens when a stubborn girl meets someone like that in a romance book. This is also the first book of the Dreamland Billionaire series; they’re three books, three brothers. 
And I’m ready.




3. The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Again, at the moment I don’t have any expectations for this book. I’ve seen it on TikTok but I just kept scrolling past it, like the book I previously mentioned. I think what pushed me to buy this book at last was another friend (I love you, Leandra) posting about how she was speeding through it. And by that you can tell how easily influenced I can be when it comes to books, lol.

Avery Grambs has a plan for a better future: survive high school, win a scholarship, and get out. But her fortunes change in an instant when billionaire Tobias Hawthorne dies and leaves Avery virtually his entire fortune. The catch? Avery has no idea why -- or even who Tobias Hawthorne is.

This is the first book of the series, and seeing people vlog about themselves sprinting to the bookstore for the next book makes me curious. 

Here’s the rest of the blurb:
“To receive her inheritance, Avery must move into sprawling, secret passage-filled Hawthorne House, where every room bears the old man's touch -- and his love of puzzles, riddles, and codes. Unfortunately for Avery, Hawthorne House is also occupied by the family that Tobias Hawthorne just dispossessed. This includes the four Hawthorne grandsons: dangerous, magnetic, brilliant boys who grew up with every expectation that one day, they would inherit billions. Heir apparent Grayson Hawthorne is convinced that Avery must be a conwoman, and he's determined to take her down. His brother, Jameson, views her as their grandfather's last hurrah: a twisted riddle, a puzzle to be solved. Caught in a world of wealth and privilege, with danger around every turn, Avery will have to play the game herself just to survive.”


4. [Finish] Haunting Adeline by H.D Carlton


I’m 85% into the book, and so far I have loved every single bit of it. Dark Romance is a genre that is definitely not for everyone, but I’m surely getting into. It’s always important to read the trigger warnings in the beginning!

Haunting Adeline is the first book in the Cat and Mouse Duet by H.D Carlton. To summarize, the main character, Adeline, has a stalker. However, she has an internal struggle with her morals because anything that scares her, also excites her. 

I can manipulate the emotions of anyone who lets me.
I will make you hurt, make you cry, make you laugh and sigh.
But my words don't affect him. Especially not when I plead for him to leave.
He's always there, watching and waiting.
And I can never look away.
Not when I want him to come closer.

I’m reading this book at the same time as one of my managers (hi!), and it’s honestly so funny to rave about specific scenes in the book and watch our co-worker’s faces distort with confusion and shock. Anyways, once I’m done with this one I’m immediately hopping into the Twisted series. 

I don’t know why instead of finishing a series in one go, I just go for other books. I’m assuming it’s so I don’t feel that painful dread of finishing a series and realizing none of it was real. 

I love getting emotionally attached to characters on paper.

It’s extremely fun.

Absolutely.

Anyways! That’s the current TBR for now. Maybe if I stay away from Amazon and the nearby bookstore, I might be able to follow through with this list; for at least a month. I’m a book behind schedule, according to my goodreads. The goal is to read 15 books this year, and I’m confident I’ll reach it. Maybe I’ll try to surpass it and reach 20 :). 

If I keep to this list, I know it’s going to be such a good reading month! I can feel it. ❤

- Alondra ♡




Comments

  1. I'm so glad you're finally going to have some time to yourself and dive into those books you've been wanting to read for so long. It's amazing to see how much joy reading brings to you, especially during tough times. I hope you enjoy all the books on your TBR and that they provide you with the perfect escape during your downtime. You deserve it!

    Love always,
    📦

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read different genres so I haven't heard of these titles before, but one thing they all have in common are GORGEOUS covers!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts