Book Review: The Deal

    


Yes, I'm alive and well!

    And recently came out of a major post-ACOMAF (A Court of Mist and Fury) reading slump. After reading fantasy, I always like to pick up romance books which don't require too much energy from my brain; so I picked up The Deal by Elle Kennedy. And boy, it wasn't what I expected. Next time, I'm gonna think fourfold before taking another book recommendation from one of my now-not-so-favorite booktubers. I feel betrayed... again.

    To summarize, in this book Hannah Wells, a music major student, makes a deal with Garrett Graham, a.k.a the captain of Briar's hockey team. Garrett convinced her to tutor him in exchange for helping her make her crush, Justin, notice her by pretending to date and make him "jealous". Obviously, you wonder: how long does this go until one of them stops feeling like they're pretending? 

Not long, trust me.

Here's the rest of my review from Goodreads:

The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)The Deal by Elle Kennedy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"I know you're into me, Wellsy. And I'm definitely into you. Would it be so bad if we made this thing official?"


Although I loved Garret Graham, my high expectations were not met. At first, I felt like it started off really well, until halfway through the book the main point of the story gets sort of... lost. This book was sold to me as a "fake dating" trope, since Hannah and Garrett agree on him helping her crush notice her by pretending to date in order to make said crush jealous, that is in exchange of becoming his tutor to improve his GPA; hence the god-forsaken title.

However, this "fake dating" only happened like twice, and I just wish the author developed it more, rather than jumping to corny shit revolving around Garrett's father and Hannah's self-concept of being "broken". Which brings me to my next point: is it me, or was the topic of rape being tossed around like nothing?

How could you possibly consider that having Garrett give you an orgasm is going to "fix you"? HELLO?
description

I was really looking forward to enjoy this series, but I don't think I will be reading the rest of it. :/



View all my reviews

Comments

  1. Oh, I hate when I get a recommendation from a friend and it turns out to be something I dislike. It's so awkward! I have a few friends who really know my taste, and a few who really don't, and so I really give a lot of thought when the latter give recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts