Trying a Social Media Detox (Again)

"I swear, I have no time for anything!" I whine to my friend as we speak over FaceTime. Mind you, as I'm doing this, I've been already scrolling through TikTok and Instagram Reels for the past two hours. 

Two hours that could've been well spent on reading, learning new knitting stitches, catching up with my favorite blogs, or even trying a new baking recipe I saw on the internet a few days ago.

But no; apparently it just seemed easier to plop into my bed after an 8-hour retail shift and scroll mindlessly through social media until the clock tells me it's one in the damn morning. It just seemed easier after dealing with rude customers arguing over expired coupons from January. 

However, it does not clear my mind nor relax it. Unlike cuddling with the current book I'm reading before going to sleep, or watching a cozy vlog on Youtube, or journaling about the unhinged thoughts that made me giggle in the least fortunate moments throughout the day.

Dealing with seasonal depression

I thought I was doing alright, but for the past 2 weeks the Seasonal Affective Disorder has rammed me in the ankles. But that's okay, because I always know to treat myself; even if I can't bring myself to get out of bed.

As I'm writing this, I'll have you know that I'm failing 2 classes (mom if you read this, i'm sorry). The semester is over in 3 weeks, and although I have a chance at redemption... I can't bring myself to care. Especially since I made the decision to switch majors and universities. But I know myself; I know I'll work it out in the end. 

Having that in mind, it's been difficult for me to stay focused; regretting signing up for a semester which's classes will not be considered for credit convalidation.

However, I'm grateful of how much I've learned this semester!

Going back to square one

Last year around the summer, I decided to delete social media apps from my phone. It wasn't "life-changing" but I must point out that the days felt longer; I finally had time for my hobbies after work, even during my summer semester!

I didn't quit social media entirely, though. What I did was log in through my laptop in the beginning of the day and after I got home from either class or work. I actually felt in control, and didn't take more than 30 minutes to be up to date with what my friends were up to.

So we're trying it again!

I deleted all my apps yesterday, and today has already felt longer. I was able to do homework in less than an hour; big slay if you ask me. To my surprise I have the rest of the week free, so I hope to at least carry on with my postponed quest of baking the cookie recipe I saw on Instagram with a heart dent in the middle, filled with strawberry jam. Might even swing by Home Depot and get more plants!

I'm very excited to create new healthy habits and focus on my hobbies more; and slow down. And give my cats more belly rubs.

I love the having the ability to connect with my family and friends through social media and meme-sharing. But at some point, spamming each other with reels and tiktoks gets exhausting and it sucks the living soul out of you. So, I decided to get back to one of my many favorite hobbies: writing letters!

In this digital era, writing on paper has become foreign; also taking away the personal and intimate essence of writing someone a letter with it. Or even just sending a postcard of you at Disneyland. 


I don’t know when I fell back into my social media over-consumption habits, but I’m proud of myself for becoming aware once again. Here’s to living slow and rekindling your love for old hobbies!

Now that I’ll have more time, hopefully I can write here more often <3.


- Alondra ♥





Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you're going through depression. I hope this detox helps! I know that when I deleted my twitter account (I think it was 2021, but it might have been 2020) it really boosted me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I think out of most social medias, Twitter is definitely the most emotionally draining one. So I understand why it made you feel better!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts